Head of Mission
|Duty station||Erbil (Kurdistan Region of Iraq)|
|Role||Head of Mission|
|Duration||12 months (renewable)|
|Requested experience||minimum 5 years|
|Posted on||09 gennaio 2018|
|Starting date||26 marzo 2018|
|Deadline||05 febbraio 2018|
The Iraq humanitarian crisis is recognized as one of the worst global crisis, with about 3,1 million of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and hundreds of thousands of people moving to go back to the recently liberated areas exhausted by the war. Fallen under the control of the militias of Daesh three years ago, Mosul district sees one of the picks of the crisis. October 2016 the offensive driven by the Government’s army has started to take back control of the area. As a consequence, the area in the region of Ninewa is characterized by massive movements of people being displaced or going back to the areas which are being progressively liberated. The crisis has negative consequences also on the people who managed to never move.
COOPI has started its humanitarian action in the sectors of Education in Emergency and WASH in Qayyarah (south of Mosul) and is aiming at expanding its program both geographically and programmatically.
The Head of Mission provides leadership and strategic direction of COOPI’s operations in Iraq and is responsible for the implementation and development of the country programme in line with COOPI’s organisational and country strategy, policies and procedures. The HoM is also responsible for the management and capacity building of the staff, securing donor funding and to represent the organisation to the government, donors, and other appropriate bodies – including clusters, UN agencies and the media. The HoM reports directly to the Area Manager at the HQ. The position is based in Erbil (KR-I).
- Institutional relations: He/she manages relations with the main institutional donors and with potential ones. He/she represents COOPI in the country/area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners. He/she also is responsible of the organization’s reputation in the country.
- Strategy and planning: He/she verifies and proposes to the Area Manager the intervention priorities to consolidate the organization’s opportunity to be more involved in the country. He/she contributes to the definition of the Country Strategy and proposes the country planning (projects and coordination).
- Projects’ management: He/she coordinates and directly monitors projects, guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards. He/she coordinates the elaboration, writing and documents’ preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Area Manager and the headquarters support offices. He/she is responsible for the preparation of projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested by the central headquarters. He/she ensures the transmission of all official and administrative project documents to the central headquarters.
- Country office management: He/she is responsible for all different aspects related to the country office management: economic and financial situation, local regulations, office organization charts, logistics, local and expatriate personnel management, in conformity with the organization’s guidelines. He/she guarantees the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation.
- Staff management: He/she is responsible for the local staff management. He/she participates and supports the Area Manager and the Human Resources office in the selection of the expatriate staff. He/she coordinates and monitors the country’s expatriate staff management.
- Safety: He/she is responsible for the expatriate staff security, for the correct implementation and respect of the general security rules.
- Economic and financial management: He/she is responsible for the country’s economic result. He/she supervises the financial management and ensures – through the administrative function – that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI’s procedures are respected. He/she participates to the projects/coordination budget preparation. He/she has the signature for all COOPI’s bank accounts in the country.
- Visibility: He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country.
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Experience of working on one or more among the following donors AICS, EU-MADAD, ECHO, BPRM, USAid/OFDA and UN agencies;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO in a similar context will be an asset;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management;
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; Knowledge of Arabic and/or Kurdish will be an asset;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.