COOPI is looking for a WASH Expert in Sudan
COOPI has been present in Sudan since 2004 initially contributing to addressing the humanitarian needs in the Darfur region that for a long time has been the scene of armed clashes and hard hit by prolonged periods of severe drought. However, since 2017, COOPI’s programme focus shifted to building the long-term resilience of local communities still with targeted humanitarian interventions. As of September 2020, COOPI’s programme portfolio include WaSH, Food Security and Livelihoods implemented in North Darfur, Kassala and Khartoum States of Sudan.
Purpose of the role
The role of the WASH expert is to provide high level technical support to conceptualization, design and implementation of COOPI’s WASH projects with a focus on community based approaches and sustainabily of the water sources and sanitation facilities carried out on project’s implementation.
- Proactively seeking funding opportunities to scale up and/or expand activities working closely with the Head of Mission and Head of Programs. This includes identifying and undertaking assessments and writing concepts and proposals;
- Overall responsibility for the expected design, correct implementation and effective monitoring of assigned projects and activities;
- Manage the inventory of materials for WASH activities and makes them available to the Donor upon request;
- Support/Ensure effective collaboration with MEAL Team in monitoring, evaluation and documentation of all activities and processes. Ensuring the analysis of data collected (at various levels) to inform activity changes to improve programme quality;
- Ensure the development and implementation of all activities in line with Common Humanitarian Standards (CHS) and COOPI programme standards and policies;
- Oversee WASH programme with field visits and ensure quality of projects delivery;
- To be engaged strategically with all technical sectors as need and provide management and strategic input/oversight;
- Ensure the compliancy with COOPI procedures (logistic, finance, security);
- Ensure that the procurement, logistic and administration departments are efficiently managed;
- Oversee and provide strategic support to program teams;
- Ensure the necessary visibility of ongoing Wash project's interventions in national, regional and sectoral clusters as well as on the ground;
- Prepare internal and donors reports and other periodical reports as required.
- Provide technical leadership and support with the goal of intensifying the WASH impacts of the ongoing and future projects, in terms of quality and accountability;
- Share knowledge and skills related to the WASH sector within the Technical Working Team. Build the local capacity of COOPI national staff in WASH sector focusing to standards and professional methodologies to implement both construction/rehab of complex infrastructure (such as water sources and networks) or community driven sanitation programming;
- Build competencies within target groups in the project areas to enhance the management and technical skills of the local counterpart (governmental and community);
- Support local counterparts and community stakeholders in defining trainings, capacity building, awareness campaigns on sanitation practices;
- Ensure that WASH activities are carried out in compliance with the Logical Framework and related indicators;
- Respond to internal COOPI inquiries regarding the interests of the WASH sector donors and local partners.
Liaison and networking
- Coordination of liaison activities with the State bodies, local Authorithies and Community leaders;
- Ensure presence in national and regional WASH platforms and in the sector clusters as well as on the ground;
- Represent the organization in WASH coordination fora at National and State level and coordinate with international and local agencies;
- Regularly participate to coordination meetings concerning implementation, operational and security matters.
- Manage the security implementation plan in program areas in all its aspects, including supervision of security guidelines implementation by COOPI staff in charge and emergency and evacuation procedures;
- Assure that equipment related to security is properly functioning, which includes supervision of check up and maintenance procedures and timely replacement of equipment when necessary;
- Coordinate regular collection of information from areas of intervention;
- Prepare security reports and timely inform the Country Director on security matters;
- Participate to ad hoc COOPI security coordination meetings;
- Ensure that assignes staff comply with COOPI Sudan internal security procedures.
- University degree in water engineering focused on WASH related field;
- A minimum of five years of relevant working experience in similar sector is required;
- At least three years of demonstrated successful experience in international relief and development in a WASH project management position is required;
- Proven knowledge of water engineering and water supply design;
- Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs;
- English mandatory (excellent level written and spoken);
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Proven capacity to work in a team;
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure.
- Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters;
- Experience in managing staff;
- Previous work experience in Sudan;
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments;
- Arabic knowledge.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. For more than 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.